Tuesday, February 8, 2011

YUM :)

So, I have a new favorite quick/middle of the week/need something in a flash type of dinner that is a big hit with my family.. I just finished some leftovers on my lunch break and thus was inspired to spend the rest of my lunch break blogging about it because... Well, work is slow today and I'm bored. :)
Anyways, my mom had foot surgery a few weeks ago and has been out of work for a while so she gets to pretty much sit at home and watch Food Network Chanel all day long --(so jealous of this)... One day she stumbled upon this recipe, or some variation of it, and shared it with me and it is delicious, at least I think so.. It is the perfect recipe to 'clean out your fridge' and use those leftovers that you want to get used up before they go bad...
 
So anyway, I don't have any exact measurements because you don't need them for this dish, just throw in what you want and it will taste fabulous!
 
Brown Rice Chicken and Veggies:
First I start by baking some boneless skinless chicken breasts. Use as much or as little, but two would probably be plenty. Season them however you like and bake them for about 30 minutes or until done--leftovers work perfectly for this.
Next, make the brown rice. Now, I used Uncle Ben's brown rice steaming packets because you literally stick them in the microwave and steam them for 90 seconds and that is it. (I used two packets)
Then, chop up all your veggies real fine, I used a few carrots, celery stalks, mushrooms, and green peppers because that is what I had. It all tastes good! Saute your veggies in some olive oil and throw some fresh garlic in there as well to add a little flavoring.
Next, combine the chicken and rice in with the veggies, add just enough chicken broth (low sodium version) to make sure the rice is not dry or sticky, and just heat it all up until it is light and fluffy and warm, add salt and pepper to taste. 
So that is pretty much it, it is healthy and delicious! It's also a nice way to sneak veggies in if you have a picky eater, which Ryder can be sometimes when it comes to veggies... Max likes to mix it up and throw some soy sauce on his plate too, but I think it is just fine by itself! :)  --Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment