Sunday, January 19, 2014

simply..... simplifying.

This weekend was hard on my pregnant little hormonal self.
After the new year, and with our vacations (I don't know when the last time I got to use a plural "s" after the word 'vacation'?!? So excited!!) coming up in the next couple months, Max began talking about wanting to simplify our little homestead. The first thing he brought up was the chickens. We've had them for a few years now and they weren't laying eggs anymore. Apparently this was the cycle of life for most chickens. I had no idea. I understood his reasoning for this because we were basically buying feed for chickens who were no longer providing us with anything in return and since Max is usually the one doing chores, I could understand where he was coming from. So last weekend, the chickens went bye bye and I will need to find new sources for my eggs!
After the chickens, he brought up the idea of maybe finding a new home for Murphy. If you don't know the story (or stories, I should say) with Murph, then you may not understand this one but basically we took in a second golden retriever as a favor to help out a neighbor and a friend of my brothers who was in a bind with this puppy last year. He was 6 months old when we got him. Murphy is now almost two and he has caused us more anxiety/stress/frustration than we could have ever imagined. He couldn't be left alone with the kids outside which was super annoying (and weird, for a golden) and he basically destroyed anything he came in contact with, including any/all packages that would get delivered, shoes, and oh yes, sheetrock and wood trim in our garage as well. Most of this is just puppy stuff and we figured he would outgrow it so we held on for quite a while. I spent every tuesday evening with him last spring at a puppy obedience class and due to his 'running' habits, we also spent a small fortune on a wireless fence and collar so that he could stay safely in our yard instead of bothering our neighbors. Basically, we tried. The thing is---we just never could fall completely in love with him. With our growing family, we knew he wouldn't be able to get the proper training that he desperately needs so we did a little research and found an amazing organization that only take in golden retrievers, foster and train them, and then find them forever homes. After a weeklong debate and many phone conversations with this organization (they were so patient with my indecisiveness!) Murphy left on Saturday to meet his new foster parents. I cried. Alot. But in the end, I know it was best for Murphy, and I am finding peace with this decision.  I won't lie that I also felt relief by the end of the day. Murphy was the cause of a lot of yelling, and a lot of stress between Max and I. I am so excited to be able to follow him to see where he ends up and how he does with his new family. Our (almost) 5 year old golden Mickey seems to be okay with this situation as well. He has now decided that he gets free reign of our house and is so far loving all the attention he has been missing out on.
On a more positive note, the sun was out today and the 30+ degree weather allowed me to lace up my running shoes and head out for a run. It felt so amazing to finally be able to be outside and get some much needed sunshine and cardio, with plenty of walking breaks here and there for baby, of course :)

No comments:

Post a Comment