Sunday, January 12, 2014

big girl panties

I'm so proud of my little Piper Grace. About a week ago, I decided I was ready, (yes, me) to give potty training another round. I had tried to work with P a couple months ago, and it was clear that she really wasn't ready so I took her cue and decided to put it off for a awhile longer. Since last week was freakishly cold, I knew we were going to literally be stuck in the house for days and figured it would be the perfect time to attempt to ditch the diaper. I chatted with her about it one morning and simply took her diaper off and kept it off for the rest of the day. In fact, I made sure my house was nice and cozy warm because my little one basically ran around either naked (with just socks on!) or at least naked from her belly button down for the better part of the following 4 days. The first day, she had accidents and honestly didn't mind much. We spent most of our days on our hard floors so accidents were relatively easy to clean up. By day 2 I could tell she was catching on much more and only had one or two accidents and at this point she knew when she had gone where she wasn't supposed to and it would upset her a little. The next couple days continued to get easier and easier. I still felt like a broken record asking "piper, do you have to go to the bathroom? tell mommy when you have to go potty" -etc, etc but she became really confident in answering yes or no.

Things I found helpful while potty training:

-We kept our potty chair in the living room, or whatever room we were spending time in. By having her see it and know where it was at all times seemed to make her more comfortable.

-Rewards :) After each successful bathroom visit, Piper would get 4 m&m's. She thought this was awesome and now she doesn't usually even remember to ask for her "emmies" as she calls them.

-Bragging Rights. Piper would get SO excited if she was able to go in front of other people: her grandparents, her auntie, Ryder, etc. She loves to call people and tell them she only wears big girl panties now and that "DIAPERS ARE FOR BABIES!" :) Seeing her be so proud of herself was really fun for me to watch.

-Stick to it. Even on the days that we HAD to run to town for different things and before I was fully confident in her "holding it" abilities, I refused to put a diaper on her, because I knew it would just confuse her. I just took my chances and brought extra clothes everywhere we went. So far, it has worked out :)

CHEERS TO A FEW MONTHS OF NOT HAVING TO BUY DIAPERS :)
just working on her fitness ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment